History of the Apple Patch

 

Before the Europeans came to Northeastern Ohio, Indians hunted, fished and lived here. This is part of the "Gore" eroded by the river now called the Chagrin. Its ancient banks and sand bars were desirable dwelling sites. Not more than half a mile away were archeological digs sponsored by Case Western Reserve University investigating evidence from the Whittlesey people. The Apple Patch is located on land that was part of Connecticut's Western Reserve. The Connecticut Land Company sold some 400 acres of this property to a man named Rumsey Reeve. Mr. Reeve had a house here when Lake became Ohio's smallest county, created from parts of Cuyahoga and Geauga Counties in 1840. An apple orchard was planted where The Apple Patch is now. The last old Red Delicious tree blew over years ago but still lives, mostly rotted out, and still bears fruit. The farm house is gone now but one of the newer structures from the farm, built by Joel Reeve (1860-1951), still stands on the property. Over the years, Mr. Reeve's heirs divided up the property into smaller and smaller parcels until Mike Kurchak bought it in 1978. Most of the trees in the Apple Patch were planted in 1980, '81 and '83. It took about five years for the trees to mature enough to produce saleable fruit. The Apple Patch has been in continuous operation since then.

 


 

 


 

ŠThis site was created and designed by Michael E. Kurchak